Therapy for Anxiety
Live a Calmer Life
Is anxiety, panic, or constant worry making you miserable?
The symptoms of anxiety can be both terrifying and overwhelming. Many people report feeling like they are having a heart attack. You may have difficulty sleeping because thoughts are constantly running through your mind. You may find yourself worrying about things that you know are irrational.
I specialize in helping people learn how to stop anxiety from ruling their lives. Although it may not feel like it right now, anxiety is actually quite treatable. Learning more about the nature and origins or your anxiety can make an enormous difference. I often use EMDR with clients with anxiety. We focus on shifting your negative beliefs so that you will look at situations in a different way. EMDR can be extremely effective. Even if you have struggled with anxiety or panic for many years, there IS hope!
My style is interactive as we work together on resolving the problem.You will have support as we eliminate the hold that anxiety currently has on your life.
I have a warm and comfortable office located in the East Bay in Albany, CA, 94706-which is easily accessible via public transit or via Route 80 from El Cerrito, Berkeley, and Richmond, CA.
Some Tips For Coping with Anxiety
What can you do when you experience anxiety?
- Don’t fight it or deny it. Since anxiety is such an uncomfortable feeling most people try to push it away. However, the more you push your anxiety away the more intense it will be when it returns and it usually returns.
- Anxiety is often masking an underlying feeling such as sadness, anger, or fear. Allow yourself to sit and notice what is going on underneath the anxiety. If you allow yourself to have those feelings your anxiety will abate.
- Exercise is good both when you are feeling anxious and as a way to prevent anxiety. Research has shown that exercise can be an effective treatment for anxiety right up there with therapy and medication.
- Daily meditation is an excellent treatment for anxiety. You do not have to meditate for long periods of time each day, ten minutes a day can significantly help anxiety. There are many different ways to meditate and many free resources for this on the internet.
- Reduce your caffeine intake. Caffeine is a stimulant and can worsen anxiety symptoms.
- Write it out. Often anxiety manifests by racing thoughts. Taking the time to write out these thoughts can often take away their power and as a result reduce your anxiety.
- Talk it out. For the same reasons as above talking it out can help you feel better about a situation.
- Train your brain to do things differently. When you mind starts racing with anxiety visualize a stop sign and stop your brain from moving forward. You will have to do this a few times in order to stop your brain but the more you practice this the easier it will get.
- Give yourself some daily worry time. You know you have a lot on your mind and you are worried so allow yourself a certain time every day to worry. When the time is up using your thought stopping techniques to stop your worrying. Your worry time should not be more than half an hour.
- Seek professional help. If the above suggestions do not help your anxiety it may be time to seek professional help from your doctor or a therapist.
Try my free short meditations to help you deal with anxiety.